Saturday, October 4, 2008

Jesus Wept

Jesus Wept -- John 11:35

What a simple verse! As a matter of fact, it is often one that I encourage small children to memorize first because of its simplicity, its truth, and its hope.
x
Let me see if I can explain its importance this way. On Monday, Lord willing, I am going to Indiana to share in a memorial service for my wife's neice's family. The guest of honor is a man I would guess to be around 50. He tripped going down a set of stairs and hit his head causing internal damage and, sadly, he died from his injuries. To complicate the story even more, the family no longer has a local church. As I understand it, though these folks were involved in a church at one time, some rather unChristlike actions from within drove them away. How sad the story!!! How many times it happens that way!!!
x
What I want to share with the family is that while man may let you down, Jesus will never let you down. His love never gives up, even when we often fail and have to hurt His Heart of Love.
x
What a great example is seen as Jesus wept in this passage. He did not weep because of death, because Jesus is the Lord of Life and Death. He did not weep out of hopelessness because the word does not exist in his vocabulary. Jesus wept because He understood those around Him were hurting. And as Hebrews reminds us, we have a GREAT HIGH PRIEST who understands things just like we do. What a Savior! I hope you will trust Him to meet those empty moments in your life.
x
Father, it is no secret that we need you. We need you in our strength and in our weekness; we need you in our sadness and our joy; we need you when it seems everyone else has left us. Thank you for your unending love, no matter what circumstances befall us! In Jesus' name, Amen!

No comments: