Monday, February 11, 2008

Finding Answers in Prayer


"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." -- Matthew 7:7-8
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
"A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class. As she ran she prayed, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!"While she was running and praying, she tripped on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress. She got up, brushed herself off, and started running again! As she ran she once again began to pray, "Dear Lord, please don't let me be late...But please don't shove me either!" -- source unknown
Recently our church faced a short fall on being able to pay a major bill. In a phone conversation with a new Christian friend I was making, I sought his prayer for this need. He readily agreed to pray and I later found out prayed several more times. He sought the answer by continually asking; he took time to bring it before God and wasn't afraid to knock on God's door and was allowed into God's presence; he asked knowing God could meet the need. He said he would pray for more money than was needed for the bill. And sure enough, within three days, a check for the money came in with over $100 more than the bill was for. Together, we rejoiced in God's goodness over the phone -- and the hope of searching for answers to this life God gives us. For me, I confess the whole situation was a growing experience as I saw Jesus' words in action and looked at how situations can turn us away from keeping our eyes on Jesus and his principles. Sometimes, I think I need a shove -- and I got it. Do you need a shove?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Dear Father, when I am weakest, I need your strength. Oddly enough, when I am strong in myself, I am weak in my relationship to you. I need you. I thank you for the answers to prayer and the promise that I can ask, seek, and knock to find out the answers to the needs in my life. Thank you most of all for Jesus, the one person I need most, to deal with the things in my life that keep me from fully knowing you. It is in his name I pray! Amen!

No comments: