Monday, February 4, 2008

The Danger of Pride; The Need for Humility



"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


Many of you readers may not have heard of K. P. Yohannan. K. P. is the founder and president of Gospel for Asia. I have not met the man, but I love what I see coming from his heart in his writings.
Would you take a moment and explore something he wrote that strikes a chord with me? In SEND magazine, First quarter 2008, volume 28, number 1 on page 23 he writes: "If there is no greater glory than being a servant of all, then much of our 21st century church is miles away from the pattern Christ left us. Our worldly view of glory is precisely where we need to get our understanding set straight." He goes on to explain that when we picture ourselves as humble, we feel like we are going to be trampled on. But indeed, he notes, that it is a positive thing and wonderful to be humble because it is the nature of Christ.
In this month of "love" would join me in calling for God's people to put their heads on straight and to start loving the Lord again as we should. Would you join me in praying that we can begin to change the world for Christ by being more like our master instead of exploring what H. P calls "fantastic plans, schemes, committee meetings or mega-Madison Avenue strategies"? Let's simply be Christians and continue to change our community by humble (honestly humble) hearts.


Father: In the simple humility of the carpenter of Nazareth, may I please be a simple servant as well. Please help people to know my love and to realize that I know it is not all about me. Help it to always be about Jesus. In His name, Amen!

No comments: