Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thankful for . . . Country

Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s." And they marveled at him. (Mark 12:17)


At a loss to say it better than the poet of old, here is a statement of my thankfulness for my country:

America

My country,' tis of thee, 
sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing; 
land where my fathers died, 
land of the pilgrims' pride, 
from every mountainside let freedom ring! 
 
My native country, thee, 
land of the noble free, thy name I love; 
I love thy rocks and rills, 
thy woods and templed hills; 
my heart with rapture thrills, like that above. 
 
Let music swell the breeze, 
and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song; 
let mortal tongues awake; 
let all that breathe partake; 
let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong. 
 
Our fathers' God, to thee, 
author of liberty, to thee we sing; 
long may our land be bright 
with freedom's holy light; 
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.

(Samuel F. Smith)

My prayer is that you are as thankful for your country as I am for mine.

Lord, thank you for providing a safe country in which to live. Help us to all be as conscientious with our citizenship as you call us to be. Amen.

No comments: