Saturday, December 8, 2007

Advent – Week 2: Peace

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27, NIV)



Isaiah prophesied that Jesus, the Messiah, would be called Prince of Peace. The angels that announced His birth proclaimed, “Peace on earth, good will to men on whom His favor rests.” And still it is difficult for us to believe in this peace. Why is it so difficult?

The answer to this ageless question lies in the arena of belief. When we picture the baby lying in the manger, peace overwhelms us. When we think about the love that is represented by that lowly scene in the manger, peace fills our hearts. Consider this Christmas Carol:

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

"Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.

"Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!
(“I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

And now, consider peace this season.

Father, grant us peace—the peace that passes our understanding. Amen.

No comments: