Thursday, August 16, 2007

“Have a Blessed Day”


I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you. (Genesis 12:3)

That’s how the waitress said good-bye to the patrons at the table near mine in the restaurant just this week. I like this greeting better than the one it seems to be replacing: “Have a good one.” After all, as believers in Christ we are to be blessed and be a blessing, are we not?

In thinking of this way to say good-bye, I began to think of ways that I am blessed. My family of origin (that’s my parents, my brothers and sister, the family into which I was born) is one in which God was important and church life was a natural succession. My family of choice (that’s my wife, the family I got to have a say in) is supportive of my ministry and loves me in spite of who I am. My children provide times of growth and pride for me. I can’t imagine life without them.

I’ve had experiences that have allowed me to grow closer to God along every step of the way. You may have had those, too. Mine are time spent as a public school teacher, time spent living overseas in service of the Lord and His work, and time spent on staff at a local church. That brings me to my next blessing: the church. We live in a place where church involvement is available at an easy rate. Even in our village with a population of 700, there are three churches within the city limits (not to mention those which are planted outside the city limits). We are a church saturated society. Do you want to be blessed? Get involved in one of the local churches on the corner of the street near you.

And the list goes on: health, safety, love, food. An old hymn says, “Count your many blessings name them one by one . . . And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.” (“Count Your Blessings, Words: Johnson Oatman, Jr., Music: Edwin O. Excell)

Have a blessed day!

Father, thank you for my many blessings. Keep them coming, and keep me thankful. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen!

No comments: