Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How Has God Gotten Your Attention?


Exodus 3: 2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed. 3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

It was cold and silent as I walked onto the porch. Snow had been falling at a steady rate and the traffic was now quiet on the usually busy road. As I admired the winter wonderland, a strange noise made its way up the road. The clopping of the hooves grew steady. I expected to see horses making their way up the road. Perhaps riders were out for a winter ride with their trusty steeds.

As I looked, I was not ready for what I saw. Wild deer were making their way down the street in front of my Mulberry Grove home. Steadily the noise became louder. As the herd approached I silently counted and found there were 16 deer clopping past my house in the dark of the evening on the asphalt pavement. In the dim street light I could make out some of their features. Thirty-two eyes glistened in the dim light. Sixteen coats of brown fur laid back in the wind as some of the snow bounced off the sides of the animals. It was truly a reverend moment.

Watching this otherwise silent parade, God laid on my heart that what I was seeing was something no man could do. No man could create the marvelous creatures that mystified me on this brisk, snowy evening. No man could create the fur. No man could put the glisten in the eyes. No man could create the firm hooves which tromped the road.

I had to praise God for what I saw that only He could do. It prompted me to remember that God made me and all that I could see around me. He had really gotten my attention, which sometimes gets diverted with the worries of life! What has God been doing to get your attention? Has He got it?

Dear God: Thank you for the marvels of your creation. Thank you for taking the time to put them in front of me to make me think about you. Thank you for saving me through the death of Jesus, something else I could not do for myself. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments: